Saturday, January 08, 2005

Another thing about children

Mayday has been farmed out to Miffy's for the weekend, and Bill has gone south for the opening of the marron season. This leaves only me and Polly at home to entertain the littlest offspring, Noisie. Having done everything I could be bothered doing around the house, I gave in to Noisie's repeated supplications to join her on the trampoline. It's not so bad, once you're up there (provided your pelvic floor exercises are up to date). You can see right over the neighbours' fences, even when jumping while holding the hands of a four year old. (I noticed that all my neighbours have much tidier yards than mine, and the morning sun was so lovely, I didn't even feel bad about it.) Collapsing onto the mat, (making a mental note to do more pelvic floor exercises) I caught Noisie on the way down, who fell on top of me, rubbing her warm face all over mine and nuzzling into my neck. It's funny how, when you used to share your body with someone else, you are never quite separate again. Holding, gazing, kissing and smiling are like coming home.

The others being away also meant that Polly, Noisie and me are the only ones on hand to chat with the passing Jehovah's Witnesses. Noisie contributed very little to this morning's interaction, except to lounge around on my hip while I tried to keep the door politely ajar with my foot. This is OK for short discussions, but if the visiting evangelists haven't thrown their hands up in despair before we get as far as debating the internal logic, or lack thereof, of the Trinity, then I get a cramp in my foot. This morning's was a foot-cramper. I got stuck at the bit about how if I'm in Christ, if I'm a part of his body, then how could it be that we spend eternity living on the New Earth when he's in the New Heaven?

Anyway, I hope they had a nice walk. It's a beautiful morning for it.

1 comment:

Quirkie said...

Hey You! Thanks! Now I'm a real proper blogger. Already I feel... yes... more whole somehow. More important, even... More (sniff) Acceptable. (exits stage left, weeping gracefully)