Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Well, golly. I didn't think it would take *this* long to get over a stint in paid work. I've been all of a dither. You see, Paid Work, being far more credible and useful for society in general, (compared to my usual self-indulgent passtimes of lazing around at home with the children, pointlessly soul-searching in successive university courses and generally being a drain on the honest, hard-working taxpayers that make up the backbone of our nation) was also a rather convenient and respectable excuse for not working on a project that really should be much further along than it currently is.

Now I have no such excuse. Except for the one that goes "But I'm really actually stupid, far more stupid and incompetent than you could ever have guessed. And I'm ugly."

But I'm saving that trump card for when I really need it. And, knowing how these things can string out, I may have to hold that one for some time.

However, and this leads me to my original point: I'm in a dither. Which is not such a bad thing when you have a glass of champagne in one hand and a well-built fisherman in the other, but I tell you it's a bugger when you're behind on your assignments.

What one really needs now is some chocolate. Then, I say, one should flick through one's Favourites menu once more and read some blogs, just to get one's mind into a, er, thinking mode. One should then remind oneself of one's inestimable worth in the eyes of the Creator, and not base one's sense of identity on the success or failure of the aforementioned project.

One should do one's best to believe this.

Then eat some more chocolate.

Then, when one feels one is really ready to spurt forth with effervescent perspicacity, one should immediately, and without hesitation, throw oneself fully and bountifully into the ...

...task of opening the front door. Sigh. The kids are home.

8 comments:

hazelblackberry said...

You are not ugly - on the inside or the outside. Remember how wonderful you are - you stupid, stupid girl.

Quirkie said...

Sniff. Thankyou.

Hhhhhhh.

I suppose I should start now.

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Anonymous said...

You are positively hilarious. That was a great post. And I love your accent! It shines right through! More please!

Quirkie said...

Hey you! What are you doing awake at this time on the other side of the world? (Actually that's an assumption. I think every one else on the planet must be asleep while we're awake. Except for the New Zealanders of course. It's always daytime there, because of the dateline. Plus all that fresh air. Enough to keep anyone up.)
Anyway, Welcome!

Quirkie said...

And, er, what accent? Crikey.

Anonymous said...

Total full-blown accent. And if you tell me you're an American living in Australia, well you still have an accent. It's plain as day! When I posted my comment it was around 10:00 pm or so. Have a great day! Or night, since it's daytime here and everyone else on the planet should be sleeping! :o)

Quirkie said...

No, I'm a seventh generation Australian (or third, or fourth, depending on which side of the sheets you take it from).

But the accent? Hmm, my Strine must be really broad if you can hear it in that post. I thought I wrote it lapsing into Bertie Wooster.

One does, you know.

Quirkie said...

Oh, and welcome to yesterday evening, btw. You should enjoy it; it was rather pleasant as I recall. Tomorrow, however, the rain may be a bit of a bother; I've been driving kids to school in it all morning. ;)