Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Parenting theologically

Polly had already snapped at Noisie, hurt her feelings, felt remorseful and said 'Sorry' by the time I got into the car to take them to school this morning. Noisie had told me all of Polly's crimes by the time I had my seatbelt on. Polly rolled her eyes at me. No fear there; she knew I understood.

Q: Noisie, have you forgiven Polly?
N: No. [Eyes stubbornly downcast]
Q: You know Polly loves you. She did the wrong thing, and now she's sorry.
N: I don't know where that spot is in my heart to forgive her.

Hmm, I thought as I pulled out of the driveway. The pre-primary teacher must have introduced this idea.

Q: I think it is in the same place in your heart where you love Polly.
N: I'll check. [Closes eyes to concentrate] Deeper... deeper... deeper... deeper... deeper... deeper... I think I've got it... Nope, that's my skeleton. Deeper... deeper... deeper. Nope. I can't find it.
Q: Mmm. Maybe it's in the part of your heart where you remember all the things you have done wrong.
N: Oh I don't remember them. I don't hold those grubs in my hand. I just give them to Jesus, and he takes care of it for me.
Q: Rr...right... Umm... Where do you think Jesus looks in his heart to forgive you?
N: It's probably in his love words.
Q: ...
Q: ...?
N: I'm sorry Polly, and I forgive you.
P: That's OK , Noise. Thanks.



6 comments:

Fluffy said...

Your kids are FREAKING ME OUT.

Fred said...

amen, ms fluf.

freaking me out, but also entertaining me.

Quirkie said...

Heh. Try living with them. And you should hear their taste in music.

Quirkie said...

hear their taste? meh.

Jellyfish said...

Hahah. Very nice. I copped a Jesus-reference from a kid today. She informed me that Santa Claus sends 'Helper Santas' to shopping centres to have their photos taken with kids etc. Apparently this is because he is so busy getting all the toys ready for Christmas, he doesn't have time to go to shopping centres.

'Santa works so so hard at Christmas time. And all Jesus does is just sit around.'

Que? Does Jesus work for/with Santa? Does he live nearby? Is he just sitting there, all, 'It's my birthday, bitch, as if I should help organise the party?'

At least we'll never be short of material with them around, eh?

ps - I may be gaining the strength to attempt the meme.

Quirkie said...

Apparently, Jesus also has 'magic Jesus dust' which he sprinkles on kids. I would have blogged about that too if I could have figured what the hell they were talking about.