Sunday, April 16, 2006

Happy Easter :`(

The sun's just coming up over the neighbour's fence here, but the easter eggs are already found and the video player is surrounded by contented faces and slightly sore bellies.

I don't know why Easter makes me smile and worry and cry so much. I could spiritualise it and say the seaon is so imbuded with meaning that it works mysteries in my soul. But I find the same overwhelmed emotion at the most innocuous times. Maybe I'm just sentimental.

This morning Bill put these on the playlist:

O Happy Day (from Sister Act 2)
Hallelujah (Rufus Wainwright)
Monday Morning Church (Alan Jackson)
People Get Ready (Rod Stewart/ Jeff Beck)

I can't ever, in any context, listen to the kid from Sister Act 2 hit that high note without choking up and getting embarrassed and having to excuse myself so no-one sees me cry. Every time. I don't know if that's the message of hope, or if I just am so ga-ga impressed by musical talent, or if I identify with him and his fears and I want to know that I can overcome them as well, or maybe there's merely magic in it.

The lyrics in Hallelujah do it too. Maybe I'm just pleased with myself that I understand them, and I'm always relieved to find something I understand. But it's so raw.

Then Monday Morning Church. I don't know, but I love country music, and by now I'm feeeling so maudlin that anything makes me cry.

Then bloody stupid Rod Stewart starts singing People Get Ready, and he doesn't even nearly have me. Then when he laughs in the middle of singing "Prai(hay) se the Lord!" I want to throw a screwdriver through the stupid computer screen. Stupid man.

Now, if he stuck to "You're in my heart, you're in my soul", I'd listen to him forever. That's a hymn.

7 comments:

Rodney Olsen said...

Pauline's a Rod Stewart fan but I could do without him.

I enjoy Maggie May and a couple of others but that's about it.

Have a wonderful Easter :)

Kerryn Goldsworthy said...

Any good vocal music will do it to me, usually without warning. My eyes all filled up last night watching Parkinson when Sir Paul picked up his guitar and launched into 'Blackbird' as if forty years were nothing. And have you ever tried to get through any Christmas choir singing 'The Shepherd's Farewell' without actually sobbing?

Dorothy Dunnett, one of my favourite writers and now very sadly dead, has one of her characters say 'Music, the knife without a hilt.'

BEVIS said...

I hope you had a happy and meaningful day, whatever you got up to.

:)

And that you stuffed your face with chocolate!

Anonymous said...

*squeals*

Great choice of songs. For even more gospelly type things listen to Vicka and Linda at Port Fairey.

Anyway as a long term resident of Freo who is temporarily over East could we have some more photos please? I'm missing the joint.

Grump Les Tiltskin said...

Sung by Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee
is the only 'People Get Ready' for me.

BEVIS said...

You've been tagged (don't worry about it if you're not interested, though).

Hope you're well - and still around?

BEVIS said...

Not only have I tagged you once (see yesterday's post on my blog), but I have just created my own follow-up meme to the first one (see today's post on my blog) as a sort of 'sequel', and tagged you again! But of course, you can ignore one or both of these if you wish.

So ... you still alive, or what?

Seacrest OUT!