Friday, August 11, 2006

could you find a better photo for the milk carton backs?

Dear occasional-hitter-of-the-bookmarks-button/ random drive-by webster/ ami devoue,

I am so sorry I have not been here. Actually, I have been here, but you were not to know it, because I was on the other side of the screen studying, rather than blogging.

My reasons for this abberation are manifold and complex. Yet I shall attempt a reduction:

  • The first draft of my thesis is due in five-and-a-half-weeks (yes the one I haven't written a single word of yet, yes that one).
  • I have had morning sickness (but I'm better now) (oh, and they should just call it "round-the-clock-crappiness-without-the-actual-sympathy-inducing-vomitting" sickness).
  • Actually, that about sums it up.
So, until the 20th of September, I plan on not doing anything other than sitting here, transcribing, typing, thinking, and being as briliant as one possibly can be when one has set oneself up to appear more brilliant than one actually is by attempting to produce a thesis of substantial quality and sufficient length within an utterly impossible time frame.

Also, I shall attempt to nominally feed and clothe the offspring, and provide a passable amount of wifely comfort to Bill.

I shall, as you imagine, have no social life.

But then, who needs a social life? All that frivilous lunching, coffeeing, talking, smiling. God. How did I ever bear it.





So the kids took the news of the new baby predictably.

Polly looked politely interested for 0.75 seconds before turning back to The Simpsons. Perhaps she's heard it all before, and is completely unimpressed. Perhaps the thought that her parents still have sex caused a temporary blank out. Who knows? Teenagers are odd.

Mayday looked at us in horror, and shouted "NOOOOOOOOOOO!". She then curled up into the foetal position and went to sleep. We didn't see her until the next day. This is not a quaint literary embellishment. She did exactly that.

Noisie pulled her top lip up - Billy Ray Cyrus style - (or is it Elvis?), raised her eyebrows, looked at my belly, and said "True?..... Freeeeeaky."

Bill, himself, is still adapting. The news was a little... unexpected.

We shall call it Bump.

10 comments:

Rodney Olsen said...

Congratulations. (That's for the baby, not for the clever use of a line from a Newsboys song for the post title.)

I do wonder why they choose the title 'morning sickness' when it can last all day. I can only imagine some bloke made it up because no right thinking woman could call it that.

Quirkie said...

trust a dj ;)

Thanks, Rodney :)

Jellyfish said...

I'm not sure how I missed the news you were pregnant. I was so busy not studying hard enough that it must have passed me by. But - WOW, great news and how tres exciting!


And that quote from Cheaper By The Dozen you once mentioned is almost coming true!

Quirkie said...

Hi jelly,
yeah, this was pretty much the pregnancy announcement so, you didn't miss much :)

BEVIS said...

CONGRATULATIONS!

Wifey has four-and-a-half weeks to go for our first (assuming it comes on time, which - of course - it won't).

I wish you all the happiness in the world, and I hope your kids get a tad more excited about it in time. :)

Quirkie said...

Oh BEVIS you are so very nice.

Thank you for intermuppeting my vainglorious attempt to out-smart the computer at four-suited spider solitaire (I was cheating anyway).

And I will TOTALLY do those memes. In fact, I'm not going to have anything else to blog about after my thesis-writing blog-hiatus, because of all the (obviously) brain-draining study i'm not actually doing at the moment. :D

And absolutely completely good luck to you and Wifey. By the time i get around to blogging again you'll no doubt be the Dad of an actual visible little muppet poppet. Blessings x

elaine said...

Congratulations from me too!

x

Quirkie said...

Ahoy Elaine,
Thanks :)
I miss reading your blog, and others too. I am absolutely BANNED from this simple pleasure until i've written something, anything, worth submitting. To uni, natch, not to the Bloggyverse. Everything is worth submitting to the Bloggyverse.

Quirkie said...

but I'm BANNED from doing that too. this doesn't count. it's a comment.

Amanda Hunt said...

Merry Christmas, have a happy one and a great new year too.