Monday, February 28, 2005

Poem: After the Hens Night

The little nursemaids are covering me with their love

I am lying on the couch, in their middle

The littlest is rearranging my eyebrows, smoothing, crooning
My eyes shut-in a wandering headache; wavelets of quease wash around
Warm little fingers are poking apple muffin crumbs into my mouth

“I peeled the apples and I cutted the apples. Dad helped me peeled the apples and Dad helped me cutted the apples. He’s very nice. I mean really. He’s really nice.”

The oldest is posing in her flower-girl dress,
breaking away with Kelly Clarkson,
delighted with herself

The middlest is missing

Charlie Rich rolls in with the flow, dismissed

The littlest is off-duty, sitting on my hip, eating muffins in my ear

The oldest weaves in and through all morning, filling the room with Sunday and the sweet sound of twelve

The middlest waits with a crazy face, nose to nose
She presents a get well card, vigilantly carelessly made, pleased with my dopey surprise

Everywhere is warmth, music, movement and headache
and I cannot stop smiling

8 comments:

Quirkie said...

Ah. That totally doesn't work the next day. Someone remind me to not publish poems until I've slept on them first.

Quirkie said...

This is not Sweedums ode, btw. That is because I do not know what an ode is. Odea.

Jellyfish said...

Oh, I like it! It's gorgeous. I want babies. Sniff.

Anonymous said...

...reckon you might be uncomfy with the rawness of it, Ms Q.

Bein' a new dad & all, I rather liked it.

Posted a comment on your haiku btw.

love
Dr Drew

Quirkie said...

Jelly: Welcome! and thank you for your generous words. Dost thou also poetize, perchance?... would LOVE to see what you would come out with :)

Dr Drew: It's that obvious? And does my maternal guilt also show thru? Or is that the same thing?

Anonymous said...

I loved this poem Quirkie! Don't you dare repent of it. Your rawness is heartwrenching and absolutely lovely.

Quirkie said...

Sweedums, you're vewy noice. I've been reading some odes. All a bit depressing, really, aren't they? I've been challenged recently to write happy poems... apparently they're much harder. Would it be kosher to write a happy ode, do you think? "Ode to Happiness" eww, it already sounds maudlin

Anonymous said...

Yes happy ode is groovy with me, I think you are not the person to write about shallow "happiness" as a lot of people would understand it. REAL happiness....can't wait to hear an ode on that! Blog. Ode. Share. Lovely.